Thursday 6 October 2011

Little Dorrit (2008) - Reviewed

My Overall Rating - 7/10


Little Dorrit - Period Movies Box

Little Dorrit is the screen adaptation of the novel Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens. I just finished watching it and after those 13 episodes of suspense, the last one wasn't very rewarding as I thought it would be. The series stars Claire Foy as Amy Dorrit, Mathew Macfadyen as Arthur Clennam, Tom Courtenay, Eddie Marsan, Andy Serkis, among others.

Since I have been following Downton Abbey regularly I might tend to be partial towards it but I didn't find Little Dorrit up to the mark. I know that all Charles Dickens's stories are gloomy and full of sorrow, yet this was very dark and dirty, if I may say so. In fact, the Circumlocution Office was dingier than Hogwarts' Owlery, really.

The saving grace of the series were performances by Claire Foy, Mathew Macfadyen, Tom Courtenay and Russell Tovey. Others were simply loud and exaggerated. The episodes seem to be long and boring even when they are just 30 minutes long because the maturity is lacking in the direction of course with three or four different directors directing different episodes.

Still, if you're looking for some light headed period drama series you can watch Little Dorrit and you'll not be very disappointed.

IMDb Link - Little Dorrit
Wikipedia Link - Little Dorrit

For more information on period movies stay connected to Period Movies Box.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do express your VIEWS!